- Code: JA
- Certification: QQI Level 5 Award in Business Studies (5M2102)
- Duration: One Year
This course combines a wide range of Business modules including Marketing, Enterprise, Word Processing and Business Administration. It meets the increasing demand from employers for qualified workers who are proficient in a wide range of business skills. Learners complete work experience placements in the business area and gain valuable experience in the sector leaving them ready for either employment or progression into further study at Level 6 or Third Level. Throughout the year students are involved in Entrepreneurial Activity, Market Research and indeed benefit from external speakers and industry specialists.
- Programme of Study
- Bookkeeping – Manual & Computerised
- Business Administration Skills
- Entrepreneurial Skills
- Marketing Practice
- Word Processing
- Work Experience
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (minimum of five 06/H7’s or combination of five 06/ H7’s) or its equivalent. Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a merit profile
- Full QQI Level 4 Award with a merit profile
- Mature Applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following a successful interviews
- Career Opportunities
Employment within the following sectors:
- Higher Education Progression*
Links to a wide range of courses including:
- QQI Level 6 course in Management (6M4587)
- Business Studies (DC111), Aviation Management (DC117)
- Business Studies (DT315), Auctioneering (DT104),
- International Hospitality Management (DT401)
- Accounting and Finance (TA121), Management (TA122), Marketing (TA123)
- Arts Anthropology (MH101), European Studies (MH108)
*Places are not guaranteed in these institutes and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual college websites for more information on application. Information available also at www.cao.ie
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
This course provided me with the opportunity to experience multiple different areas of the business world. With the variety of modules it entails along with the work experience that had to be carried out it helped me focus in on my future career choice. As a mature student, BIFE were very helpful with anything I wasn't too certain about in terms of the course work. Most importantly, because of BIFE, their staff and my motivation to work throughout the year, I am now attending Carlow IT studying Bachelor of Business (Honours) - Business CW908.
Leanne Bolger achieved student of the Year for the Level 5 Business Award in 2016.
I received 8 distinctions in my Business Administration course in BIFE. This has allowed me to progress into a level 8 Business Studies degree in DCU which will last approximately 4 years in total.
Attending BIFE allowed my to get a feel for what it is like to study business as I had not studied business for the Leaving Certificate.
I thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of the Business Administration course. I was particularly interested in the modules of Marketing and Entrepreneurial skills as it opened my eyes to what the business world has to offer.
Socially I connected well with all of the people in my class as we had a common interest. There were many extra curricular activities available throughout BIFE. I joined the DJ society which was very interesting and fun to participate in.
The guidance counsellor was very helpful in guiding me through the CAO process, entry to 3rd level and future career opportunities.
BIFE was an ideal stepping stone from second level to third level education as it gave me an understanding of the kind of work that I need to do in University.