- Code: LE
- City and Guilds award Advanced Diploma in Food Preparation and Cookery Supervision (8065-04)
- Duration: One Year
The Advanced Diploma in Culinary Arts and Supervision is for candidates who have gained experience as a chef and wish to extend their knowledge of the planning and monitoring of operations and staff within the kitchen environment and broaden their overall knowledge of operating successfully within the wider hospitality industry. Candidates will be required to demonstrate their supervisory skills, both knowledge based and practically, in order to fulfil the requirements of the assessments.
- Programme of Study
- Developing opportunities for progression in the culinary industry
- Supervise and monitor own section
- Contribute to business success
- Contribute to the guest experience
- Sustainability in professional kitchens
- Monitoring and supervision of food safety
- Produce and present advanced starters using standardised recipes
- Produce and present advanced main course dishes using standardised recipes
- Produce and present advanced desserts and dough products using standardised recipes
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
One of the following:
- City & Guilds Diploma in Food Preparation & Culinary Arts (8065-01)
- QQI Level 5 Professional Cookery Award (5M2088)
- Mature Applicants - Industry experience may qualify for entrance onto the course based on individual assessment
Places are offered following a successful interview.
Applicant should be in full-time employment.
- Career Opportunities
Employment in the catering industry remains steady and graduates in this area are very much in demand. Graduates will be competent to take up employment in a wide range of professional cookery settings.
- Higher Education Progression*
Examples of potential courses include:
TUD Technological University Dublin (Tallaght campus):
- BSc in Culinary Arts (Advanced entry to 3rd Year) (TU742)
Graduates of this course are eligible to apply through the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to a range of higher certificate and degree programmes at Institutes of Technology and Universities (please check with the particular institution regarding local eligibility requirements).
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Having left school and starting a career in professional cookery I found that I needed to gain qualifications to further my career in the industry. BIFE gave me the opportunity to combine my working life and college to gain the skills needed in the real world whilst continuing to work. I found the City and Guilds professional cookery course challenging but it has left me with a skill set that I can continue with in both further education and industry. After completing the professional cookery advanced course at BIFE. I have progressed directly into the 3rd year of the Batchelor of Arts course in Culinary Arts in IT Tallaght - Sesilia Adamia
After completing the first year of the professional cookery at BIFE I have returned to complete the 2nd year of the advanced diploma. I found the course to be both challenging and fulfilling and has enabled me to apply what I have learnt in my role in a professional kitchen immediately. I recommend any students wishing to progress in the field of professional cookery complete the 2 year course at BIFE. - Paul Breslin