QQI Level 5 Minor Award in Hairdressing (5M3351)
City & Guilds NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Hairdressing (3002-61)
Department of Education and Skills Junior Trade qualification.
- DURATION: 1 Year
Bray Institute provides everything you need to start your hair hairdressing career. Fom our fully equipped training salon, our hands-on approach to training and streamlined, interactive theory. This course is suited to complete beginners and people currently working in the hair industry at apprentice level.
This 1 Year course is designed for students who are serious about a hairdressing and barbering career. Students will study the practical skills of hairdressing and barbering, and the underpinning theoretical knowledge that will enable them to pursue a career in the hairdressing and barbering Industry as a Junior stylist. Training is provided in the Institute’s fully equipped hairdressing salon.
Students who successfully complete year one may progress to year 2 Senior Stylist course where they will complete the next level of City & Guilds qualifications and the Department of Education and Skills Senior Trade qualification.
- Programme of Study
- Working in the hair industry
- Salon reception duties
- Hairdressing science
- Follow health and safety practice in the salon
- Client consultation for hair services
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Promote products and services to clients in a salon
- Cut women’s hair
- Colour and lighten hair
- Perm and Neutralise Hair
- Create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
- Hair and Head Diseases (Skin and Scalp conditions)
- Work Experience
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a merit profile
- Full QQI Level 4 award with a merit profile
- Mature Applicants - experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following a successful interview.
Learner’s must source their own work placement.
- Career Opportunities
- Hair Stylist
- Cruise Ships
- Start Your Own Business
- Session Stylist
- Salon Receptionist
- Sales Representative
- Health Spas
- TV/Film & Theatre
- Progression Route*
Examples of potential courses include:
- Year 2 Hairdressing - Senior Stylist Based on successful completion of Junior stylist course and Interview.
- City and Guilds NVQ Level 3 In women’s Hairdressing
- Senior Trade Hairdressing
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
"In 2021 I started the Hairdressing Junior Stylist level 2 course and now I’m in my second year as a Senior Stylist level 3-. BIFE for me meant - overcoming fear, pushing myself. I challenged myself even further and signed up for the ERASMUS programme that literally changed my life. It was one of the most amazing experiences that I can not recommend enough, it helps build your confidence, make new memories, tie new friendships and not the least get to experience living and working in a foreign country. In BIFE i get all the amazing support from the tutors who guide and encouraged me constantly and most importantly believed in me even when I didn’t." - Andrala Tabara