- Code: ME
- Certification: QQI Level 5 Award in Creative Media (5M5048)
- Duration: One Year
This course is an introduction to 2D and 3D computer game design and development. This course will examine all aspects of computer game production and development from concept to digital art, 3D Modelling and Sound Design. Successful learners will acquire a comprehensive knowledge of game design and development techniques and theory as well as an extensive portfolio of work including a number of individually crafted games.
- Programme of Study
- Desktop Multimedia Audio Production
- Games Analysis & Design
- Computer 3D Modelling & Animation
- 3D Computer Graphics
- Computer Illustrated Graphics
- Work Experience
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
One of the following:
- Leaving Certificate or its equivalent. Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Leaving Certificate Applied
- Full QQI Level 4 Award
- Mature applicants - experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Learners should have a good working knowledge of computers and some software (e.g. File Management, Internet, Email, MS Office, 3D software/Game engine experience a bonus)
- Career Opportunities
- Game Designer
- Game Artist
- Game Programmer
- Game Development
- Sound Designer
- Game Tester
- Digital Media Roles
- Higher Education Progression*
Examples of potential courses include:
- Games Development Advanced QQI Level 6 (6M20496)
Dublin City University:
- BA (Hons) in Multimedia (DC133)
- BSc in Augmented and Virtual Reality
- BSc (Hons) in Computing in Games Development (DK820)
• Griffth College:
- Certificate in Music Production for Games (GC460)
• Munster Technological University
- Creative Digital Media (BA Honours) (MT 824)
- Animation, Visual Effects and Motion Design (MT811)
• NCAD Dublin:
- Interaction Design (AD222)
• TU Dublin (City Campus):
- Creative Digital Media (TU796)
• University of Limerick:
- Creative Media and Interactive Design (LM122)
QQI Graduates are eligible to apply through the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to Institutes of Technology and Universities.
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"The BIFE games course provided me with a comprehensive and invaluable knowledge base moving forward into a professional environment. The technical knowledge and techniques taught on the course are essential for anyone seeking a successful career within the gaming industry. I also would like to add that the tutors on the course are true professionals and are always willing to aid you whenever they can even after completing the course. If you are interested in a successful career in Game design & development then the BIFE games course is for you.” Joshua has just released a new game “The one we Found” onto Xbox and PC(Stream). It’s a new breed of horror. Check it out at www.theonewefound.com if you are brave enough. He is currently Managing Director of Loveridge Designs and Loveridge Designs & Development." - Joshua Loveridge
"I’m currently studying a BA in Game Design at Dublin Institute of Technology.
The techniques and skills that I’ve learned in BIFE have been invaluable.
The tutors always had time to help you if you needed it and continue to support you even after BIFE.
I would recommend this course to anyone considering a career in game design as it provides an excellent platform to further your career and education" - Michael Carstairs