Societies and Sports (2016 - 2017)
Societies and Sports are established and co-ordinated by students. The best way to join is to show up on the day. Students can also use their KWETB email to message the promoter as all students' email addresses are stored in Contacts in Outlook.
We provide anime fans at BIFE a place to meet, socialise, and watch anime. From classics of the medium to the latest titles from Japan, our weekly screenings have something for everyone..
- Promoters: Craig Donnelly (TV and Film Year 1)
- Get Involved: 4:15pm to 6:45 pm Wednesdays, in Room 22
Basketball has a very fast and exciting pace of play. Each player on the court gets to play both offense and defense and the roles of each player are only loosely defined. Much of basketball easily can be practiced (like shooting or dribbling) with one person making it easy to learn. The sport also is great for one-on-one play all the way up to 5-on-5, so you don't need a big crowd to get a good game going.
- Promoter: Ed Buttler (Networks)
- Get Involved: To Be Confirmed at BIFE's Sports Hall
- Promoter: Leo Butt (Music Production Y2)
- Get Involved: Wednesday, 4:15pm, DJ Studio
Film clubs gives students the opportunity to watch, discuss and review films, as well as meet new people and have some fun.
- Promoter: Craig Donnelly (TV and Film year 1)
- Get Involved: 4:15pm to 6:45pm Monday Room 22
- Promoter: Sam McDonald, Morgan Berry, Lekan Adams (Personal Trainers)
- Get Involved: 1:30pm Tuesday, BIFE Sports Hall
Fitness Training and Circuit Class
Get healthier, fitter and reduce body fat in FREE fitness classes for all levels. Different training methods will be used to work the whole body each week. Nutrition advice will be given to maximise performance and recovery.
- Promoter: Brioc Farrell, Gavin McFadden (Personal Trainers)
- Get Involved: Tuesdays and Thursdays 4pm -5pm Room 10
It is time to create positive changes in our lives. We are the creators of our own reality therefore it is time to start taking responsibility for our lives and our place in the world. Through the power of the now and the activation of our consciousness we can live fulfilled lives, free from any psychological suffering. Global Awakening will explore many different topics to help you to gain a deeper understanding of 'the self' and the challenges we face in the modern world. Please come along and enjoy moments of bliss'.
- Promoter: Saoirse Heffernan (Art, Craft and Design)
- Get Involved: Thursdays 4pm -5pm Room 15
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
HIIT training is a fun form of interval training for all levels of fitness. It's an exercise strategy alternating short periods of intense exercise with less intense recovery periods. HIIT is a cardio exercise that improves strength, flexability, balance, co-ordination and stamina. Meet new people and have fun in a team environment.
- Promoter: Aaron Kelly, Paul Burton, Robert Mullen, Leah Treacy (Personal Trainers)
- Get Involved: Tuesdays 1:00pm - 2:00pm, BIFE Sports Hall Gym
HITT Fit / Body Tone
Looking to tone up and gain fitness results quickly then this is for you. Small class numbers 4 at most small group personal training.
We guarantee results with our High Intensity Training of each body part with professional guidance.
If interested be at room 11 at 4 Wednesday or text Alex on 087-6564354
- Promoter: Cillian Kelly, Michael Dickenson, Aaron O'Neill, Alex Flynn (Personal Trainers)
- Get Involved: Wednesday, 4pm - 6pm, Room 11
- Promoter: Thomas Quill (TV & Film year 1)
- Get Involved: Wednesday 4pm, TV Studio
- Promoter: Alex Downes (ALC)
- Get Involved: Thursdays 3:30pm to 5:30pm Room 22
Hello there, I have set up a non-contact MMA society (basically boxercise) with the aim of trying to promote daily physical activity, and teach basic boxing skills. It’s a good and enjoyable way to get into shape so why not give it a shot.
What’s included: Boxing Training; Wrestling; Cardio Training; Core Training.
- Promoter Kyle O’Connor (Applied Psychology)
- Get Involved: Monday 3:15-5:15, Room 9
- Promoter: Samual Duff (Music Performance) and Ben Downes (Music Performance)
- Get Involved: Fridays 1:00pm to 3:00pm BIFE Canteen
Performance barbell mainly works on functional movement, mobility, muscular endurance and overall wellbeing. Even though the title may be daunting to some the trainers will adapt to the clients individual needs starting from bodyweight exercises, barbell exercises and a small cardio circuit.
- Promoter: Jak Lawrence, Kate Dagg, Sean Maloney, Ciara Winstanley (Personal Trainers)
- Get Involved: Thursdays 11:50pm to 12:40pm, BIFE Sports Hall Gym
Tabletop is a casual tabletop group playing Dungeons and Dragons inspired games.
- Promoter: Daniel Skorka (Graphic Design)
- Get Involved: Wednesdays, 2:20pm - 4:00pm Room 22
Hello there, I have set up the yoga society in BIFE with the aim of trying to spread the mindset and practise of yoga because I feel it should be part of everyday life for everybody. I just want more little yogamites running around the world, Jody.
- Promoter: Jody Vij (Tourism)
- Get Involved: Monday 4pm Room 10 and Wednesday 4pm Room 10