- Code: HF
- Certification: QQI Advanced Certificate in Early Learning and Care Stage 2 - Level 6 (6M21471)
- Duration: One Year
The focus is on promoting the holistic well-being, development and learning of children from 0 to six years across a range of ELC settings. The programme offers a balance of theory and practice, and professional practice placement is integral to the teaching and learning. Experiential teaching and learning in the classroom facilitated by experienced Early Years expert(s) enables learners understanding of their role as a Team leader in the Early years setting. Learners undertake 150 hours per year of Professional Practice placement which helps build confidence and competence in their chose role. This programme also provides the learner with the opportunity to transfer and progress into further and higher education
*The current qualification requirement for room leaders is Level 6 (DCEDIY, register of recognised Early Years qualifications.) Qualifications for different roles in ELC may be subject to change in line with evolving national policy.
- Programme of Study
Programme of Study
- The Developing Child
- Curriculum and Pedagogy
- Inclusive Learning and Care
- Supervision and Administration
- Advanced Professional Practice Placement
- Sociology and Social Policy in Early Learning and Care
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
One of the following:
- QQI Level award in Early Learning and Care 5M21473
- A B2 competence in English
- Show an interest in working in the sector
- Garda vetting will also be required, including police vetting from country/ countries previously lived in for 6 consecutive months
- If you have completed Early Childhood Care and Education 5M2007 within thelast 5 years and show an interest in working the sector advanced entry to stage 2 is possible.
- Recognition of Prior Learning will be assessed on a case by case basis
- Career Opportunities
• Room leader
• Special needs assistant
- Higher Education Progression*
Examples of potential courses include:
- Early Childhood Education Level 8 (TU995)
SETU - South East Technological University (Carlow and Waterford campus)
- Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Early Childhood Education and PracticeSE913
DCU - Dublin City University
- Bachelor of Education in Technology, Engineering and Graphics - (Post-Primary) DC015
TUD - Technology University Dublin (City campus)
- Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Education & Care TU790
Advanced entry may be available. CAO details are currently being updated so may be subject to change kindly confirm with HE college at time of application.
*Places are not guaranteed in these Institutes and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual college websites for more information on application. Information available also at www.cao.ie
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"In beginning this course, I knew I wanted to work with children but I didn’t know in what capacity. The modules offered were so thorough and broad and gave me an insight into how I would like to progress. The required placement in an ECCE setting is hugely beneficial. I am now studying a BA in UL to become a child social worker. I would highly recommend this course for anyone who is interested in working with children and wants to advance in their career or education." - Meg Burke
"My experience in BIFE whilst completing my level 6 was more than I could have ever imagined. I gained more confidence and skills than I ever thought I would and made friends of a life time. I couldn't have gotten through it without the help and support of my teachers who were absolute stars for the whole thing. If I could do it all over again I would. I am now in a full time job working in childcare and I couldn't be happier that I have the job I've always wanted and I have BIFE to thank for that." - Chloe Bolger