- Code: NB
- Certification: QQI Level 5 Award Computer Systems and Networks (5M0536)
- Duration: One Year
Computer science requires skills that are in-demand in practically every industry in today's technology-dependent world. This course is suitable for students who are looking for a career with a comprehensive grounding in computing. It will develop your knowledge and skills in programming, mobile app development as well as computer systems and architecture, operating systems and networking technologies. Assessment will be through continuous assessment and end of year examinations.
Students wishing to acquire a higher level of professional technical skills can avail of progression routes onto our Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Computing Systems & Networks or alternatively suitably qualified graduates may apply via the CAO onto an undergraduate degree programme in a range of third level institutions.
- Programme of Study
- Programming Design & Principles
- Mobile Technologies
- Computer Systems Hardware
- Networking Essentials
- Operating Systems
- Maths for Information Technology
- Work Experience
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (minimum of five 06/H7’s or combination of five 06/H7’s) or its equivalent with minimum entry requirement Ordinary Level Maths Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a Merit profile
- QQI Level 4 Certificate with Distinction profile
- Mature Applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places offered following successful interview.
- Career Opportunities
This course offers a range of skills in computer and networks maintenance, programming, app development and operating systems. These are areas that are experiencing skill shortages.
- Higher Education Progression*
Examples of potential courses include:
- Computing Systems and Networks QQI Level 6 (6M0695)
- BSc in Computer Science (TU856)
- BSc in Networking Technologies (TU716)
- Computer Science/Multimedia, Mobile and Web (MH601)
- Computer Science (DN201)
Please note that the courses listed above are only a select few, many other courses can be entered using this FETAC award, please visit www.careersportal.ie for more
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
"I am very proud of my Advanced Certificate in Networks & Software Systems and am pleased that I had the opportunity to earn it at Bray Institute of Further Education. The competency and the professionalism of the teachers were nothing less than outstanding. I had completed the Level 5 Information Technology course at this college when I started the program in 2013. On completion of the course I progressed directly into 3rd Year at Institute of Technology Tallaght pursuing a Bachelor of Science in IT Management degree, and working as a Data Analyst for an Irish company. On a daily basis, I must apply various aspects of theory and techniques that I learned during my time at Bray Institute of Further Education. I genuinely endorse Bray Institute of Further Education and everything for which it stands." - Gabriel Ichim