- Certification QQI Level 6 Award in Computer Systems and Networks (6M0695)
- Duration One Year
There is increased demand for IT professionals who design, implement and troubleshoot computer networks. This advanced certificate course is designed to provide the necessary skills to meet this need. Focusing on a higher level of IT specialist skills in the area of network design, installation, configuration and administration, as well as how they can be applied in modern technologies. You will also acquire the skills to identify security threats and apply appropriate mitigation strategies. The nature of computer networking demands that network specialists are problem solvers with excellent attention to detail as well as having skills in coding and mobile technology development. Suitably qualified graduates may apply via the CAO onto an undergraduate degree programme in a range of third level institutions.
- Programme of Study
- Physical and Logical Networking
- Systems Software
- Mobile Technologies & App Development
- Object Oriented Programming
- Information Technology Administration
- Network Infrastructure
- Work Experience
*Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
One of the following
- Leaving Certificate or its equivalent with relevant experience and minimum entry requirement Ordinary Level Maths. Extenuating circumstances may be considered.
- Applicants with an appropriate qualification at QQI Level 5
- Applications from mature learners who do not match these requirements but with comprehensive relevant experience in the area will be considered. Extenuating circumstances may be considered.
- Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Career Opportunities
This course offers a range of skills in networking, programming, app development and operating systems. These are areas that are experiencing skill shortages. Graduates will be equipped with a skill set that will enable them to seek employment or successfully progress to higher education.
- Higher Education Progression*
Examples of some of the potential courses include:
- Computer Science (DN201)
- Digital Forensics and Cyber Security (TU758)
- Computing – BSc in Information Technology (TU860)
- Computing – BSc in Digital Forensics and Cybersecurity (TU863)
- BSc in Computing
SETU - (South East Technological University) (Waterford Campus):
- BSc in Software Systems Development WD151 (Year 2)
- BSC in Multimedia Applications Development WD153 (Year 2)
- BSc in Information Technology (WD155) (Year 2)
SETU - (South East Technological University) (Carlow Campus):
- BSc in Software Development (SE609)
- BSc in I.T. Management (SE614)
Dun Laoghaire IADT:
- BSc in Creative Computing (DL 836) (Year 2)
*This is a selection of some of the available progression paths.
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
"Signing up to BIFE (Computing courses level5/6), was the best decision I ever took. It opened so many doors for me and I am now working for a National Award Winning Telecoms company. I am currently working for Goldfish Telecoms (within their IT Technical department), which is an Irish-owned cloud telecoms company that provides VoIP services to businesses across Ireland and abroad. I cannot express my gratitude enough to all the teachers at BIFE, they were always very supportive and helpful. Due to my academic performances obtained at BIFE during these two years, I can now apply to almost any 3rd level institution and will be pursuing a Bsc Degree in Computer Science (part-time) while working." - Liviu Runcan
Certificates awarded while in BIFE:
2015 - 2016 Computer Systems & Networks
QQI level 5.
2016 - 2017 Computer Systems & Networks
QQI level 6.