- Code: HJ
- Certification: QQI Level 6 Award in Animal Science – Animal Care (6M5153). City & Guilds Award in Animal Management Level 5 equivalence on the NFQ
- Duration: One Year
This one year course is uniquely designed for those who wish to progress to a career in animal care at a supervisory level. It offers a broad range of subjects to encourage learners to explore different aspects of animal care and husbandry for both companion and exotic animals. The learner has the opportunity to seek work experience in a variety of settings. The learner will study towards a QQI award in Animal Science at Level 6. They may also achieve a City & Guilds Certificate/Subsidiary Diploma in Animal Management.
- Programme of Study
- Animal Science & Health
- Customer Service
- Animal Grooming
- Canine Obedience and Training
- Kennel and Cattery Management
- Work Experience
- Animal Behaviour
- Wild Animal Management
CITY & GUILDS
- Understand Animal Welfare and Breed Development
- Undertake Kennel and Cattery Management
- Understand the Principles of Zoological Animal Health and Husbandery
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- QQI Level 5 Award in Animal Care with three distinctions
- Mature learners – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Learners are required to source their own work experience.
Places are offered following successful interview.
- Career Opportunities
- Veterinary Clinics
- Cattery/Dog Kennels
- Animal Sanctuaries
- Dog Grooming
- Pet Shops
- Higher Education Progression*
Learners may be eligible to progress to selected higher education courses in Ireland through the Higher Education Links Scheme (HELS) and in Britain.
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE Students who have graduated from this course...
"I am currently studying Veterinary Nursing in UCD. On average, four students throughout Ireland gain entry to the Veterinary Nursing course through QQI entry. I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of them. I honestly do not feel that I could have achieved this without my time spent studying in BIFE. In BIFE, I studied Animal Care, QQI Level 5, followed by Animal Science at QQI Level 6. The teachers and learning structures of these courses and BIFE in general pushed me to achieve higher than I had imagined, giving me the motivation to further pursue my dream career in Veterinary Nursing." - Sarah Kennedy