- Code: HI
- Certification: QQI Level 5 Award in Applied Science – Animal Care (5M2768). City & Guilds Certificate Level 5 equivalence on the NFQ in Animal Management
- Duration: One Year
This one-year course is one of the few courses of its kind in Ireland. It offers a broad range of subjects relating to animal care and husbandry. The learner studies for the QQI Animal Care award and a City & Guilds Certificate in Animal Management. These awards will enable learners to pursue a career in the animal care industry both at home and abroad. Work Experience is an integral part of this course providing practical, hands-on experience which will lead to a range of training and career prospects.
- Programme of Study
- Animal Anatomy & Physiology
- Animal Welfare
- Work Experience
- Animal Grooming
- Information and Communication Systems
- Veterinary Assisting Skills
CITY & GUILDS
- Understand and Promote Animal Health
- Manage Animal Accommodation
- Plan and Monitor Animal Feeding
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate with two subjects at higher level, one of which must be Biology
- Mature Applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview. Learners are required to source their own work experience.
- Career Opportunities
- Veterinary Clinics
- Animal Sanctuaries
- Dog Grooming
- Pet Shops
- Cattery/Dog Kennels
- Higher Education Progression*
- Veterinary Nursing (DN310)
- Veterinary Nursing (DK784)
- Veterinary Nursing (AL731)
- Veterinary Nursing (LY847)
Universities in Great Britain & Northern Ireland
- Animal Science - FETAC Level 6 (6M5153)
*Places are not guaranteed in these Institutions and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual websites for more information on application. Information is also available on www.cao.ie.
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"I chose to go to BIFE despite living in Dublin and facing a 2 hour journey each day to and from the college as I had met past students who loved the course. The tutors were always extremely friendly and willing to help you do your best whether it was smaller assignments or final exams. The course was set in such a way that ensured all modules were easy to follow and interesting. I came to BIFE with the strict mindset that I would go on to further education to study Veterinary Nursing. However, each module was so captivating that I am now looking at Veterinary Nursing, a career in Animal Welfare or opening my own business. Either way, I plan to study the Level 6 Animal Science course in BIFE to further develop the skills they have given me. I loved the course and would highly recommend studying in BIFE for anyone looking to have a career in the care and welfare of animals." - Laura Higgins