- Code: HE
- Certification:QQI Level 5 Award in Community Care (5M2786)
- First Aid
- Duration: One Year
This course introduces learners to Social Studies and Social Care work. It provides the academic foundation as well as the practical experience necessary for working in the social services or for those who wish to further their studies. Learners develop an awareness and understanding of the complexity of contemporary social issues. Promoting equality of opportunity, respecting cultural diversity and valuing the individual are some of the issues which are addressed.
- Programme of Study
- Social Studies
- Human Growth & Development
- Care Provision and Practice
- Equality & Disability
- Addiction Studies
- Work Experience
- Safety & Health at Work
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (minimum of five 06/H7’s or combination of five 06/ H7’s) or its equivalent. Extenuating circumstances may be considered.
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a distinction profile
- Full QQI Level 4 Award with a distinction profile
- Mature Applicants - experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
All places are offered following successful interview. Garda vetting necessary prior to work placement. Learners must source their own work placement.
- Career Opportunities
- Working in Social care settings with client ranging from children to elderly
- Working with Children & Young People
- Afterschool's Clubs
- Higher Education Progression*
- Social Sciences (DN700) TSC
- BA in Applied Social Studies (CW717) - Year 2
- BA Hons in Social Care Practice (TA025) - Year 2 or 3
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Health and Social Care (Applied Social Studies) Level 6+
*Places are not guaranteed in these institutes and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual college websites for more information on application. Information available also at www.cao.ie
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"I had been out of education for a number of years so it was a challenging environment for me both academically and socially. I received fantastic support at all levels from the college. The Course Director, teachers and staff were all very helpful and accommodating.
The college has a nice atmosphere about it so I never felt out of place.
With the help of all concerned at BIFE I was successful in gaining a place on a Degree programme in Social Studies in Trinity College which I started in September 2015." - Ciarán Carroll
"I decided to take a career break from my job and return to BIFE as a mature student to undertake the Social Studies and Community Care course. All aspects of the course were beneficial especially Social Studies the knowledge of which I can carry through my day to day life. This course has given me the confidence to explore the possibility of further study and I hope to return to college to study Psychology in the near future." - Yvonne Lynch