BTEC Higher National Diploma in Health and Social Care (Applied Social Studies) Level 6+ on the QCF (500/8361/2)
- DURATION:2 Years
This two-year professional qualification has been developed for people who wish to pursue a career in social services and community care.
It aims to prepare learners for employment in social care settings and forms the academic basis for further and higher education in applied social sciences.
This is achieved through a comprehensive programme of tuition and work-based education.
The course is assessed continuously by means of written and practical assignments and oral presentations. Learners must complete 400 work place learning hours over two years.
Work placement must be completed in an appropriate social care setting.
- Programme of Study
Year One (HNC Diploma)
• Law, Policy and Ethical Practice in Health and Social Care
• Demonstrating Professional Principles and Values in Health and Social Care Practice
• Supporting the Individual Journey through Integrated Health and Social Care
• Fundamentals of Evidence-based Practice (Pearson-set Project)
• Effective Reporting and Record-keeping in Health and Social Care Services
• Supporting Individuals with Specific Needs
• Sociological and Psychological Perspectives on Health
Year Two (HND Diploma)
• Innovation and Improvement through Action Research (Pearson-set Project)
• Reflective Approaches in Implementing Person-centred Practice
• Supporting Team and Partnership Working Across Health and Social Care Services
• Supporting Individuals through Significant Life Events
• Care Planning Processes in Healthcare Practice
• Holistic Approaches to Health Promotion
• Developing Effective Helping Relationships
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate with two honours
- QQI Level 5 Award with at least a Merit Profile.
- Mature Applicants - Experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
Places are offered following successful interview
Garda vetting necessary prior to work placement. Learners must source their own work placement.
- Career Opportunities
• Working in a range of Social Care settings, day care, residential care, home care.
• Client groups can range from children to older people.
• Homeless Services
- Higher Education Progression*
Graduates may apply directly to Institutes of
Technology and Universities for advanced entry to
higher certificate and degree programmes such
• IT Carlow:
Applied Social Studies in Professional Social Care Level 8 (CW077)
Health & Society Level 8 (DC209)
• TU Dublin:
Social Care Level 8 (DT571)
- Course Co-Ordinator