- COURSE CODE: HP
- CERTIFICATION: QQI Level 5 in Health Service Skills (5M3782)
- DURATION: One Year
This course is suitable for students who are considering a career in occupational therapy (OT). The course will focus on developing an understanding of impaired mobility and its impact on human occupational performance and ability and the role of occupational therapy in current healthcare services. Students will obtain work experience in general hospitals, homes for the elderly, disability schools/homes, rehabilitation centres and respite care centres for a two-week period. The practical aspect of the course will give students a good understanding of hospital life and the qualities and characteristics required for a successful career as an occupational therapist. Students will develop an awareness of how to assist the OT in the implementation of therapeutic programmes. During their work placement, students will develop an understanding of how to plan for and engage the client in self-care activities and examine the components of the OT process, from assessment through treatment planning and implementation to treatment closing.
- Programme of Study
- Care Support
- Infection Prevention Control
- Work Experience
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Activities of Living Patient Care
- Occupational Therapy Assistant Practice
- Occupational Therapy Assistant Theory
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (minimum of five 06/H7’s or combination of five 06/H7’s) or its equivalent. Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Leaving Certificate Applied
- Full QQI Level 4 Award
- Mature Applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview. Learners must be Garda vetted prior to work experience placement. Learners are required to source their own work placement.
- Career Opportunities
Successful graduates of this course will be eligible to apply for a position as an Occupational Therapy Assistant in a variety of therapy/care settings.
- Higher Education Progression*
Graduates are eligible to apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to year one of a range of higher certificate and degree programmes at Institutes of Technology and Universities.
Options to study in the UK are also available.