- Code: HK
- Certification: QQI Level 5 Award in Laboratory Techniques (5M3807)
- Duration: One Year
The purpose of the course is to prepare learners for entry to first year of a degree course in science or a science-related field in a Higher Education Institution. The course is aimed and designed for learners who may not have studied all of the science subjects previously. It has a large emphasis on both theoretical knowledge and practical skills necessary in Biology, Chemistry and Physics.
- Programme of Study
- Anatomy & Physiolgy
- Laboratory Skills
- Work Experience
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (minimum of five 06/H7’s or combination of five 06/ H7’s) or its equivalent with at least one science subject and minimum entry requirement Ordinary Level Maths. Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a distinction profile to include QQI level 4 Biology
- Full QQI Level 4 with a distinction profile and with a science subject
- Mature applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview. Applicants should have good basic literacy and mathematical skills.
- Career Opportunities
- Pharmaceutical research
- Laboratory Technicians
- Clinical trial monitoring
- Medical research
- Higher Education Progression*
- Science (DN250)
- Forestry (DN271)
- Dairy Business (DN252)
- Agricultural Science (DN250)
- Food Science (DN261)
- Agri Environmental-Sciences (DN253)
- Horticulture, Landscape and Sportsturf Management (DN272)
- Science (DT271)
- Bio-Science (DT259)
- Food Innovation (DT421)
- Science (TR071)
- Physics with Astronomy (DC167)
- Applied Physics (DC171)
- Science Common Entry (DC201)
- Genetics and Cell Biology (DC168)
- Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences (DC162)
- Sport Science and Health (DC202)
- Chemical Sciences (CK406)
- Biological and Chemical Sciences (CK402)
- Genetics (CK405)
- Food Science (CK505)
- Nutritional Science (CK504)
Please note that the courses listed above are only a select few, many other courses can be entered using this FETAC award, please visit www.careersportal.ie for more.
*Places are not guaranteed in these Institutions and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual websites for more information on application. Information is also available on www.cao.ie.
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Profile – Chloe O’Brien
My time in BIFE was an unforgettable experience. The year was filled with amazing tutors, classes and great friends. The Pre-University Science course was extremely well organised and was great fun to participate in. I learnt major key skills in all of the Science disciplines which I have carried on with me to Maynooth University. It was a great year and an amazing college too. The staff are so helpful and the friends I made are lifelong. I thoroughly enjoyed the year in Bray.