- CODE: HX
- CERTIFICATION: QQI Level 5 Award in Food Science (5M5267)
- DURATION: 1 Year
Agriculture and food production are two areas of the economy which remain relatively untouched by the current turbulence in the world’s economy. The newly emerging markets of China, India and Africa are largely untapped by Irish industry but this is changing. The expanding middle classes of these countries are now demanding better quality foods especially dairy and animal products. Consumers in other markets are becoming increasingly aware of the quality of Irish food and are willing to pay premium prices for quality. Ireland is ideally suited to meet this increased demand, be it from high value artisan products or bulk products such as dried milk. The Irish Food Industry is central to the national economy, with Irish food companies being amongst the most successful in the world. The agri-food sector is one of Ireland’s largest indigenous industries, employing over 150,000 people. This course is ideally suited for students who are interested in preparing for a career and/or further education in agriculture, food or science.
- Programme of Study
- Food Chemistry
- Food Processing
- Food Safety and HACCP
- Laboratory Skills
- Work Experience
- Mathematics (Learners may also have the opportunity to study Maths (5N1833) as an extra module.)
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent.
- Leaving Certificate Applied
- QQI Level 4 Award
- Mature Applicants.
- Places are offered following a successful interview.
- Career Opportunities
This practical course will allow graduates to apply for employment in the agri-food industry or potentially to start their own business.
- Higher Education Progression*
Graduates are eligible to apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to year one of a range of higher certificate and degree programmes at Institutes of Technology and Universities such as:
- Higher Certificate Level 6 in Applied Biology (TA301)
- BSc. Level 7 in Bioanalysis (TA311)
- BSc. in Pharmaceutical Sciences (TA314)
- BSc. in Bioscience (DT259)
- BSc. in Science & Management (DT424)
*Places are not guaranteed in these Institutions and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual websites for more information on application. Information is also available on www.cao.ie.
- Course Co-Ordinator