- Code: HA
- Certification: QQI Level 5 Award in Applied Science – Animal Care(5M2768)
- Duration: One Year
This one-year course is designed for those who wish to pursue a career working with animals. The course covers a range of subjects which will encourage the learner to develop the knowledge and skills to competently handle a range of animals in a work environment. Work experience is an integral part of this course providing practical, hands on experience which will lead to a range of training and career prospects.
- Programme of Study
- Animal Anatomy & Physiology
- Animal Grooming
- Animal Welfare
- Work Experience
- Animal Behaviour
- Veterinary Assisting Skills
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate to include Biology or Agricultural Science at ordinary level
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a distinction profile to include QQI Level 4 in Biology
- QQI Level 4 with a distinction profile to include Biology
- Mature learners – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview. Learners are required to source their own work experience.
- Career Opportunities
- Veterinary Clinics
- Cattery/Dog Kennels
- Animal Sanctuaries
- Dog Grooming
- Pet shops
- Higher Education Progression*
- Veterinary Nursing (DK784)
- Veterinary Nursing (LY847) Also
- Animal Science - FETAC Level 6 (6M5153)
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"BIFE enabled us to experience many different aspects of animal care through field-trips, guest speakers/tutors and work experience so that, by the end of the course, we had reached a decision as to what area of animal care we wanted to move into. Both Jen and I graduated with distinction and opened our own business in dog grooming the same year. We are now in our 6th year of operation and credit BIFE with enabling us to believe that we could achieve more and reach for higher. We would definitely recommend BIFE to students young and old." - Jennifer Ryan & Karen Hibbard