- CERTIFICATION:QQI Level 5 Award in Engineering Technology (5M2061)
- DURATION:1 Year
This course provides a foundation for students who wish to pursue further studies in
Engineering at Third Level. It is devised for school leavers and also for mature applicants.
It will enable graduates to progress to third level courses or to pursue opportunities in apprenticeships or employment.
- Programme of Study
- Engineering Workshop Theory
- Engineering Workshop Processes
- Computer Aided Draughting (CAD)
- Work Experience
* These Modules are taught in I.T. Tallaght one day per week. Bus service provided.
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent (Minimum Requirement Ordinary Level Mathematics). Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- QQI Level 4 Award
- Mature Applicants.
Places are offered following a successful interview
- Career Opportunities
Engineering careers in healthcare, design, communications, manufacturing, food production, power generation and transport are some of the industries that graduates of engineering work in. Engineers contribute to technologies that we use everyday. People use mobile phones, computers, the internet, high definition TV and digital cameras every day.
Today the world is connected through communications systems. The smart grid, electric cars, robotics, the music industry, and countless other systems and areas are continually developing and advancing.
As an engineering graduate, you will be involved in designing, building, automating, testing and managing. You may work on aircraft engine production, power station maintenance, water filtering plants, computer chip production systems, pharmaceutical production facilities or light rail systems.
- Higher Education Progression*
TU Dublin (Tallaght):
- Higher Certificate in Electronic Engineering Level 6 (TA201)
- Higher Certificate in Mechanical Engineering Level 6 (TA203)
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering Level 7 (TA213)
- BSc in Energy & Environmental Engineering Level 7 (TA215)
- BSc in Electronic Engineering Level 7 (TA216)
- BSc Hons. In Mechanical Engineering (TA222)
- BSc Hons in Energy Systems Engineering (TA223)
Tu Dublin (Kevin Street):
- BSc. In Biosciences (DT259)
- Civil Engineering (DT004)
- BSc in Engineering (General Entry DT097)
- BSc in Product Design (MH305)
Please note that the courses listed above are only a select few, many other courses can be entered using this FETAC award, please visit www.careersportal.ie for more.
*Places are not guaranteed in these Institutions and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual websites for more information on application. Information is also available on www.cao.ie.
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
I am currently studying the Pre-University Engineering course at BIFE. Engineering has always been something that I thought I would like to have as a career. At first, I was not sure what to expect from the BIFE course, however, I am delighted that I made the choice to study here. The tutors are excellent and very approachable. I like the fact that it is a continuous assessment. The course itself is very interesting and I am gaining lots of practical knowledge too. One day a week, we attend IT Tallaght, for Mechanics and Electronics. This means we get to use high spec equipment, which is a fantastic opportunity.
The course is a great foundation for further studies at University it now gives me a clearer idea of the specialised area of engineering, which I would like to pursue. I would highly recommend BIFE and the Pre-University Engineering course to anyone. The overall atmosphere within the college is also extremely friendly and it is easily accessible too. - Sean Hannon