- Certification QQI Level 5 Award in Food Sciences
- Duration One Year
In order to respond to the current needs of the food industry this Food Science and Nutrition course aims to educate students in a comprehensive range of disciplines including scientific, culinary and technological areas, in order to meet with the requirements of nutritional and functional food industries. Students will learn the fundamental knowledge of food science and the importance of food safety and nutrition in bringing a product to market. As a food scientist, you are involved in all aspects of product development. The ultimate goal of this programme is to ensure that students get practical hands on experience of the food industry and gain key transferable skills. This course is ideally suited for students who are interested in preparing for a career and/or further education in agriculture, food or science.
- Programme of Study
- Food Chemistry
- Food Processing
- Food Safety and HACCP
- Laboratory Skills
- Work Experience
- Mathematics (Learners may also have the opportunity to study Maths (5N1833) as an extra module.)
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (minimum of five 06/H7’s or combination of five 06/ H7’s) or its equivalent. Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a distinction profile to include QQI level 4 Biology
- Full QQI Level 4 with a distinction profile and with a science subject
- Mature Applicants - experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview. Applicants should have good basic literacy and mathematical skills.
- Career Opportunities
This practical course will allow graduates to potentially set up their own food business or apply for employment in the agri-food industry for positions in food production and management, quality assurance, food research or food innovation and product development.
- Higher Education Progression*
Graduates are eligible to apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to year one of a range of higher certificate and degree programmes at Institutes of Technology and Universities such as: •
- BSc Level 8 in Nutraceuticals in Health and Nutrition (TU882)
- BSc Level 8 in Science - General Entry (TU854)
- BSc Level 8 in Environmental Health (TU869)
- BSc level 7 in Biosciences (TU751)
- Food Science and Management (TU645)
- Higher certificate in food science and management (DT424)
- BSc Level 8 in Food Innovation (TU881)
- BSc Level 8 in Biological and Biomedical Sciences (TR060)
Please note that the courses listed above are only a select few, many other courses can be entered using this FETAC award, please visit www.careersportal.ie for more.
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
I chose the Nutrition and Food Science course in BIFE as I have always loved food science and the nutritional aspects of food. This course has a nice balance between practical and theoretical learning. I found all of the modules interesting, however, I really enjoy the Food Processing module. During the course, I am gaining a lot of hands on experience whilst doing the experiments as well as a keen interest in food processing. I also love learning about the science behind these processes. My tutors are extremely helpful, supportive and approachable if ever I have questions. Overall, I would highly recommend BIFE and this course to anyone who wants to further extend their knowledge of food and the Food Industry. After this course, I hope to study either Human Nutrition or Food Science in UCD. I have also been considering studying Environmental Health in DIT.