- Code: HS
- Certification: QQI Level 5 Award in Laboratory Techniques (5M3807)
- Duration: One Year
This course will provide participants with a broad knowledge of the core sciences and an understanding of the Irish legal system. Participants will develop useful skill through hands on laboratory work as well as an appreciation of the concepts particular to forensics. Students will also develop skills in problem solving, organization, team work, effective communication and the use of technology. These skills are relevant to a wide variety of industries and professions including in An Garda Siochana, the Defence Forces, the State Laboratory and the Forensic Science Laboratory.
- Programme of Study
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Criminal Law
- Laboratory Skills
- Work Experience
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent with at least one science subject and Minimum entry requirement Ordinary Level Maths
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a distinction profile to include QQI level 4 Biology
- Full QQI Level 4 with a distinction profile and with a science subject
- Mature applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview. Applicants should have good basic literacy and mathematical skills.
- Career Opportunities
- Pharmaceutical research
- Laboratory Technicians
- Clinical trial monitoring
- Medical research
- Chemical Engineering
- Biochemical Engineering
- Higher Education Progression*
- Science (DN250)
- Forestry (DN271)
- Food Science (DN261)
- Science (DT271)
- Bio-Science (DT259)
- Forensic & Environmental Chemistry (DT203)
- Science (TR071)
- Chemistry with Forensic Science (CK402)
- Criminology (CK113)
- DNA and Forensic Analysis (TA326)
Please note that the courses listed above are only a select few, many other courses can be entered using this FETAC award, please visit www.careersportal.ie for more.
*Places are not guaranteed in these Institutions and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual websites for more information on application. Information is also available on www.cao.ie.
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Student: Aura Naceviciute - Forensics
I chose this course because I was always interested and fascinated by the science behind forensic science and science in general. The forensic science course in BIFE has provided me with more than enough opportunities in showing me what forensic science is about, the modules within the course are broad ranged and very interesting. I never would have known if I liked criminology and criminal law but thanks to this course my curiosity and love for forensic science keeps growing. All of the teachers are kind and very helpful. The atmosphere around the college is really positive and friendly and everyone is kind to each other. I hope to use my results from this course in BIFE to go on to study Forensic Science in University College Cork.