- Code: PB (Year One); PC (Year Two)
- Certification: BTEC Higher National Diploma in Performing Arts – Performance (Theatre) Level 6+ equivalence on the QCF
- Duration: Two Years
This course is a production-led exploration of all aspects of theatre including performance and production. Training is provided in a comprehensive range of acting skills. Students study singing/voice/dance/improvisation/devising/physical theatre/clowning. Particular emphasis is given to training in classical acting skills. Learners will be expected to perform to live audience every term. Performances take place in local Black Box Pub Theatre and at Mermaid Arts Centre.
- Programme of Study
- Devising Theatre and Performance
- Voice and Speech for Actors
- Acting for Camera
- Fitness Training for the Performing Arts
- The Performing Arts Industry
- Professional Development
- Creative Research Project
- Working in the Performing Arts Industry
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (minimum of five 06/H7’s or combination of five 06/ H7’s) or its equivalent. Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- QQI Level 5 award in Performing Arts
- Mature Applicants - experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview and successful participation in a workshop/audition.
- Career Opportunities
- Production Management
- Stage Management
- Set and Lighting Designers
- Prop Management
- Arts Administration
- Drama Therapy
- Event Management and Tourism.
- Higher Education Progression*
University of Wales, Swansea
- B.A. Hons Degree in Performing Arts-Performance Theatre (Final year)
*Places are not guaranteed in these institutes and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual college websites for more information on application. Information available also at www.cao.ie
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"I started this course not knowing a single thing about drama or performance. I had studied music previously but wanted to focus more on musical theatre. I now have a degree in drama which I never would have gotten without all the tutors in the Performing Arts course in BIFE. I particularly benefited from the stage management and acting for screen modules along with physical theatre and dance. What makes this course stand out from the rest is that the tutors tailored lesson plans around my abilities and directed me towards my potential, they are so approachable and understanding. They nurtured me and helped me grow, and most importantly they left me with a thirst for more knowledge." - Becky Sillery
"BIFE's Performing Arts course has helped me grow personally, inter-personally and professionally. After completing the HND course at BIFE I was accepted onto the final year of the Honours degree course at Swansea Met. During my time at Swansea Met., the students who studied at BIFE consistently stood out from the rest of the year. Along with the dedication and professionalism of the tutors at BIFE, this course will greatly benefit anyone who wishes to continue along this path." - Oisin Porter