City & Guilds Diploma in Pharmacy Service Skills after year 1
City & Guilds Diploma in Pharmaceutical Science after year 2
QQI Level 6 Minor Award in Health Services Supervisory Management Skills (6M4978)
- Duration Two Years (2 days each week)
The course is modular with continuous assessment over the two years. Students will develop medical knowledge to recognise common illnesses and communication skills to liase with pharmacists and council patients on healthcare issues. Students will gain experience in dispensing procedures and practices and be able to interpret prescriptions and prepare medicines for dispensing. They will be able to maintain patient records and operate pharmacy computer systems. They will also be able to supply non-prescription medicines in accordance with legislation and guidelines. The Pharmacy Technician assists the Pharmacist in the preparation, checking, storage and dispensing of drugs.
- Programme of Study
Year 1: Diploma in Pharmacy Service Skills
- Provide an effective and responsive pharmacy service
- Actions to reduce risks to health and safety
- Reflect on and develop your practice
- Assemble prescribed items
- Order & Maintain pharmaceutical stock
- Provide advice on symptoms and uses of medicines
Year 2: Diploma in Pharmaceutical Science
- Chemical & biological principles for pharmacy
- Microbiology & human physiology for pharmacy
- Use of medicines for various illnesses and conditions
- Community pharmacy practice
- Professional development in pharmacy
- Pharmacy law, ethics & practice
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- QQI Level 5 in Pharmacy & Retail Selling
- City & Guilds Level 2 in Pharmacy Services
- IPU Certificate in Medical Counter Assistant with at least 6 months pharmacy retail experience
- Applicants with at least 2 years experience working in a pharmacy
- The student must be working in the pharmacy for the duration of the course for a minimum of 20 hours a week. All applicants will be interviewed
Places are offered following successful interview. Learners must source their own work experience.
- Career Opportunities
Pharmacy technicians are employed in both the private sector in community and private hospital pharmacies and by the HSE in hospital pharmacies. Other employment opportunities include medical sales for pharmaceutical suppliers.This qualification is recognised in Ireland and the UK.
- Higher Education Progression*
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?