- Code: HH
- Duration: One Year
- Certification:QQI Level 5
- Award in Healthcare Support (5M4339)
- First Aid and CPR
- Manual Handling and Patient Moving Certificate
This course provides a recognised qualification necessary for working as a Health Care Assistant in a variety of settings, including hospitals, day and residential care, mental health, palliative care and the home. The content of the course focuses on preparing the learner for the workplace. It equips the carer with the knowledge and skills necessary to work in this rewarding role as a member of the care team. Two days per week are allocated to facilitate work experience in order to prepare well for employment. It is suitable for those wishing to embark on a care in caring and those already working in the sector who wish to gain a recognised qualification. Employers consistently seek to employ students directly from this course
- Programme of Study
- Care Skills
- Care Support
- Safety & Health at Work
- Work Experience
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Care of the Older Person
- Palliative Care Support
- Manual Handling & Patient Moving Techniques (one day course)
- First Aid & CPR
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (minimum of five 06/H7’s or combination of five 06/ H7’s) or its equivalent. Extenuating circumstances may be considered.
- Leaving Certificate Applied
- Full QQI Level 4 award
- Mature Applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview. Learners must be Garda vetted prior to work experience placement. Learners are required to source their own work placement.
- Career Opportunities
Employment as Health Care Assistants in:
- Residential Care
- Maternity Care
- Home Care
- Hospice Care
- Community and Day-Care Centres
- Higher Education Progression*
Examples of relevant courses include:
- BTEC Higher National Diploma in Health and Social Care (HC) Level 6
- Pharmacy Technician Studies (DT425) Level 6
- Applied Social Studies in Social Care (BN011)
- Physiology & Health Science (CW106) Level 6
- Pharmacy Technician Studies (CW116) Level 6
- Applied Social Studies in Social Care (PC404)
- Citizenship & Community Studies (PC405)
- BA in Social Care Practice (WD192)
*Places are not guaranteed in these institutes and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual college websites for more information on application. Information available also at www.cao.ie
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
I decided to return to full time education with a view to changing my career as I was unsatisfied in my job. BIFE gave me the opportunity to study the Healthcare Assistant Course as a mature student. The course equipped me with the knowledge to proceed into a full time Health Care Assistant position in the Beacon Hospital which I love.
I found the teachers in BIFE to be very knowledgeable and encouraging together with being right up to date on the relative standards set out by organisations such as HIQA, The HSE and The World Health Organisation (WHO).
This course, together with my work placement, taught me the skills needed to be an efficient, caring and conscientious Health Care Assistant. I would highly recommend this course for anyone who has a genuine interest in helping and looking after people.
The academic year itself, is quite consuming with assignments etc. but a rewarding career in healthcare makes it worth it.
"I found the Institute to be brilliant for mature students like myself. I found the teachers fantastic as they really pushed us to our limits in order to get the best from us.I am now a care assistant in the Beacon Hospital which was the position I hoped for as I had worked in nursing homes but wanted to make the move to hospitals. I feel that I owe my current position to the course in BIFE and the encouragement of my teachers. The onfidence I gained through the course is what has gotten me to the position I am in." - Liz Golden