- Code: MG
- Certification: QQI Level 6 Award in Digital Media Production (6M20496)
- Duration: One Year
This one year Games Development course is designed to encourage key games development skills especially in the areas of games software programming and 3D modelling & animation. Learners will learn how to use and implement popular game engines in the creation of their own games software titles while studying core development languages. Additionally, learners will create graphics, animation, sound and look at their implementation possibilities for modern technologies such as the web, mobile devices and gaming consoles. Successful learners will have an extensive knowledge of games software development as well as an extensive portfolio of work including games.
- Programme of Study
- Digital Media Technology
- Project Development
- Programming Languages
- Digital Games Authoring
- Digital Imaging
- Web Authoring
- Sound Engineering for Games
- Mathematics for Computing
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate with at least a D3 in Ordinary Maths with relevant experience
- QQI Level 5 award in Creative Media
- Mature applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following a successful interview. Candidates are encouraged to bring a CV and portfolio to the interview.
- Career Opportunities
- Game development roles - Programmer, Artist, Animator, Designer
- Indie Game Development
- Software & Web Development
- Digital Media roles
- Higher Education Progression*
- BSc in Computer Games Development (CW208)
- BA inGamesDesign(DT5D8)
- BSc in Computing in Games Development (DK820);
- BSc in Computing in Software Development (DK721)
- BSc in Games Design & Development (LC418)
- BSc in Computing in Software Design (GameDevelopment)(AL801)
- BA (Honours) in Creative Digital Media (BN112);
- Bachelor of Arts in Creative Digital Media (BN021)
- BA Digital Media (MH110)
*Please note, places are not guaranteed at the above institutes and are subject to entry requirements of those institutes.
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"My overall experience of BIFE was great. The classes were very practical and the teachers were very approachable. I was accepted directly into the 4th year of a Computer Science degree in DIT that specialises in Game Development after completing the course at BIFE. Everything that I learnt in BIFE I am putting to use in the degree. The course in BIFE had a big emphasis on industry standard and now I find that to be the case. - Leigh O'Reilly