- Code: HE
- Certification:QQI Level 5 Award in Community Care (5M2786)
- First Aid
- Duration: One Year
This course introduces learners to the Social Studies and social care. It provides the academic foundation as well as the practical experience necessary for working in the social services or for those who wish to further their studies. Learners develop an awareness and understanding of the complexity of contemporary social issues, promoting equality of opportunity, respecting cultural diversity and valuing the individual are some of the issues which are addressed.
- Programme of Study
- Social Studies
- Human Growth & Development
- Care Provision and Practice
- Equality & Disability
- Addiction Studies
- Work Experience
- Safety & Health at Work
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a distinction profile
- Full QQI Level 4 Award with a distinction profile
- Mature Applicants - experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
All places are offered following successful interview. Garda vetting necessary prior to work placement. Learners must source their own work placement.
- Career Opportunities
- Working in Social care settings with client ranging from children to elderly
- Working with Children & Young People
- Afterschool's Clubs
- Higher Education Progression*
- BA in Applied Social Studies (CW717) - Year 2
- BA Hons in Social Care Practice (TA025) - Year 2 or 3
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"I decided to take a career break from my job and return to BIFE as a mature student to undertake the Social Studies and Community Care course. All aspects of the course were beneficial especially Social Studies the knowledge of which I can carry through my day to day life. This course has given me the confidence to explore the possibility of further study and I hope to return to college to study Psychology in the near future." - Yvonne Lynch