- Code: HB
- Duration: One Year
- Certification:QQI Level 5 Award in Nursing Studies(5M4349)
- First Aid and CPR(BIFE)
- Manual Handling and Patient Moving Techniques(BIFE)
This course introduces the learner to the role of the nurse and midwife and provides an understanding of the knowledge and skills required to pursue a career in the nursing/midwifery profession. Practical elements and work experience enable the learner to gain hands on experience and a real insight into the caring profession. This award provides a link to Nursing / Midwifery Degree programmes in Ireland and the United Kingdom through the CAO and UCAS systems.
- Programme of Study
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Nursing Theory and Practice
- Human Growth & Development
- Care Skills
- Infection Prevention and Control
- Work Experience
- Maternity Support
- Mathematics (optional)
- Safety and Health at Work (optional)
- First Aid and CPR
- Manual Handling & Patient Moving Techniques
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a distinction profile
- Full QQI Level 4 Award with a distinction profile
- Mature Applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formalqualifications
Places are offered following successful interview.
Learners must be Garda vetted prior to work experience placement. Learners are required to source their own work placement.
- Career Opportunities
- General Nursing
- Children & General Nursing (integrated)
- Intellectual Disability Nursing
- Mental Health Nursing
- Health Care Assistant
- Higher Education Progression*
Examples of Relevant courses include:
- General Nursing(DN450);
- Children’s and General Integrated (DN451);
- Psychiatric Nursing(DN453);
- Midwifery (DN452)
- General Nursing(TR091&TR093);
- General Nursing (DC 215)
- Nursing Degrees through UCAS application
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
My name is Shannon O’ Looney. I am 20 years old. I am about to enter UCD to study General Nursing. My journey began at Gorey Community School in Co. Wexford. It was here I completed my Junior Certificate in 2013 and then Leaving Certificate in 2015. School was never my strong suit as I was only interested in some subjects. After completing the Leaving Cert in June I received my results in August and realised I did not achieve the points I needed.
At this point I applied to Bray Institute of Further Education to do the Nursing/Midwifery Course. I loved the course from the very beginning. All the teachers were extremely helpful. The course helped me to be sure nursing was for me.
I sat the exams in BIFE in May of this year and waited very impatiently for the results in August. I achieved 9 distinctions and was overjoyed with my results.
Next were the CAO offers. I logged onto my CAO page and finally got to see the results I worked so hard for had paid off with a University placement.
I was delighted to be accepted into UCD. There were three places available to QQI Courses countrywide eligible for UCD and I was one of them.
I believe that entering Bray Institute of Further Education for 2015/2016 helped me greatly in understanding where I wanted to go with my career.