BTEC Higher National Diploma in Health and Social Care (Applied Social Studies) Level 6+
- DURATION:2 Years
This two-year professional qualification has been developed for people who wish to pursue a career in social services and community care.
It aims to prepare learners for employment in social care settings and forms the academic basis for further and higher education in applied social sciences.
This is achieved through a comprehensive programme of tuition and work-based education.
The course is assessed continuously by means of written and practical assignments and oral presentations. Learners must complete 400 work place learning hours over two years.
Work placement must be completed in an appropriate social care setting.
- Programme of Study
Year 1 (HNC Diploma)
- Communicating in Health and Social Care Organisations
- Principles of Health and Social Care Practice
- Health and Safety in the Health and Social Care Workplace
- Personal and Professional Development in Health and Social Care*
- Working in Partnership in Health and Social Care
- Social Policy
- The Sociological Context of Health and Social Care
- Psychology for Health and Social Care
Year 2 (HND Diploma)
- Understanding Specific Needs in Health and Social Care
- Community Development Work
- Understanding the Learning Process
- Safeguarding in Health and Social Care
- Health Promotion
- Developing Counselling Skills for Health and Social Care
- Complementary Therapies
- Research Project
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate with two honours
- QQI Level 5 Award.
- Mature Applicants - Experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications.
Places are offered following successful interview
Garda vetting necessary prior to work placement. Learners must source their own work placement.
- Career Opportunities
Students who complete this course may seek employment in different areas of health and social care work, such as residential care, work with community groups, care of the older person, youth work and care of people with specific needs.
- Higher Education Progression*
Graduates may apply directly to Institutes of Technology and Universities for advanced entry to higher certificate and degree programmes such as:
- BA Hons in Social Care Practice (TA025) – Year 3
- BA in Applied Social Studies (Professional Social Care) (CW717) – Year 2
- Course Co-Ordinator