- Certification QQI Level 5 Award in Food Sciences
- Duration One Year
In order to respond to the current needs of the food industry this Food Science and Nutrition course aims to educate students in a comprehensive range of disciplines including scientific, culinary and technological areas, in order to meet with the requirements of nutritional and functional food industries. Students will learn the fundamental knowledge of food science and the importance of food safety and nutrition in bringing a product to market. As a food scientist, you are involved in all aspects of product development. The ultimate goal of this programme is to ensure that students get practical hands on experience of the food industry and gain key transferable skills. This course is ideally suited for students who are interested in preparing for a career and/or further education in agriculture, food or science.
- Programme of Study
- Food Chemistry
- Food Processing
- Food Safety and HACCP
- Laboratory Skills
- Work Experience
- Mathematics (Learners may also have the opportunity to study Maths (5N1833) as an extra module.)
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (minimum of five 06/H7’s or combination of five 06/ H7’s) or its equivalent. Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a distinction profile to include QQI level 4 Biology
- Full QQI Level 4 with a distinction profile and with a science subject
- Mature Applicants - experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview. Applicants should have good basic literacy and mathematical skills.
- Career Opportunities
This practical course will allow graduates to potentially set up their own food business or apply for employment in the agri-food industry for positions in food production and management, quality assurance, food research or food innovation and product development.
- Higher Education Progression*
Graduates are eligible to apply through the CAO and/or the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to year one of a range of higher certificate and degree programmes at Institutes of Technology and Universities such as:
- IT Tallaght:
Higher Diploma in Food Science and Technology
BSc. Level 7 in Bioanalysis (TA311) BSc. in Pharmaceutical Sciences
Higher Certificate in Food Science and Management (DT424)
BSc. Level 7 in Food Innovation (DT7421)
Higher Certificate Food Sales & Culinary Practice (DT404)
Please note that the courses listed above are only a select few, many other courses can be entered using this FETAC award, please visit www.careersportal.ie for more.
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?