- Code: DL (Year 1), DF (Year 2)
- Certification: BTEC Higher National Certificate in Fashion Design Level 6+ equivalence on NFQ
- Duration: One Year
This two year course provides learners with the necessary knowledge to pursue a career in Fashion Design. The course consists of academic and practical workshops in the field of fashion and textiles. The course provides the opportunity for learners to develop and expand their fashion and textile design skills in addition to developing their confidence and own unique style identity. This experience presents learners with a wide choice of further education and/or career options.
- Programme of Study
- · Professional Development
- · Contextual Studies
- · Individual Project
- · Techniques and Processes
- · Computer Aided Design
- · Fashion and Textile Practices
- · Fashion Collection
- · Visual Narratives
- · Professional Practice
- · Applied Practice Collaborative Project
- · Advanced Fashion Studies
- · Material Selection and Specification
- · Art Direction
- · Trend Forecasting
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent with fashion design experience
- Leaving Cert Applied award
- QQI Level 5 with Merit Profile
- Mature Applicants-experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following a successful interview. Applicants must bring a portfolio/collection of work to the interview.
- Career Opportunities
- Costume design for Film & Theatre
- Fashion Styling
- Fashion Buying
- Fashion Retail
- Textile Design
- Higher Education Progression*
- UK and Northern Ireland Universities: Final year of an Honours Degree in Fashion Design (Apply through UCAS system)
- Irish Universities & IT’s: Learners may proceed via advanced entry to Honours Degree courses
*Places are not guaranteed in these institutes and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual college websites for more information on application. Information available also at www.cao.ie
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
LINZYO - Linzy O’Sullivan My Journey with LinzyO began in B.I.F.E were I started to turn my dreams into reality, one day I hoped to become a fashion designer. I learnt an amazing amount of skills along with so much knowledge of the industry to be able to then progess to achieve my fullest potential. Moving to the UK for several years to finish my fashion degree in UCA Rochester which brought me on so much as a creative designer. I was honoured to display my final collection at Graduate Fashion Week . I took many different roads and began to work for an amazing Designer, Jatin Patel which eventually led me home to Ireland . Funny enough it took me back to where I started and I became an evening teacher for Fashion Illustration in B.I.F.E , alongside running my own Women's wear Brand, but life changed and took me down a new road. I decided to start a childrenswear brand after growing disillusioned with the transience of adult fashion trends. I love the freshness, the innocence of the trends within my client base. The birth of my daughter helped me identify a niche market for unique, stylish, affordable, on-trend children’s clothing. As a brand we have gradually refined our product to suit the needs of the people we have the greatest association with at the minute; mothers and fathers of young children. The look of joy on the parents and child’s face when they wear my designs is priceless!