- Code: DL
- Certification: BTEC Higher National Certificate in Fashion Design Level 6+ equivalence on NFQ
- Duration: One Year
This one year Higher National Certificate course will provide learners with the knowledge necessary to further pursue a career in Fashion & Textile design. The course consists of academic & practical workshops in the field of fashion textiles. Final year learners will exhibit their work at our end-of-year exhibition in the Institute.
- Programme of Study
- Visual Communications in Art & Design
- Ideas Generation & Development in Art & Design
- Contextual & Cultural Referencing in Art & Design
- Professional Practice in Art & Design
- Design Exploration in Textiles
- Design Application in Fashion
- Pattern Drafting in Fashion
- Drawing Techniques & Approaches
- Digital Image Creation and Development
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent with fashion design experience
- QQI Level 5 with Fashion Design subjects
- Mature Applicants-experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following a successful interview. Applicants must bring a portfolio/collection of work to the interview.
- Career Opportunities
- Costume design for Film & Theatre
- Fashion Styling
- Fashion Buying
- Fashion Retail
- Textile Design
- Higher Education Progression*
- UK and Northern Ireland Universities: Final year of an Honours Degree in Fashion Design (Apply through UCAS system)
- Irish Universities & IT’s: Learners may proceed via advanced entry to Honours Degree courses
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
LINZYO - Linzy O’Sullivan My Journey with LinzyO began in B.I.F.E were I started to turn my dreams into reality, one day I hoped to become a fashion designer. I learnt an amazing amount of skills along with so much knowledge of the industry to be able to then progess to achieve my fullest potential. Moving to the UK for several years to finish my fashion degree in UCA Rochester which brought me on so much as a creative designer. I was honoured to display my final collection at Graduate Fashion Week . I took many different roads and began to work for an amazing Designer, Jatin Patel which eventually led me home to Ireland . Funny enough it took me back to where I started and I became an evening teacher for Fashion Illustration in B.I.F.E , alongside running my own Women's wear Brand, but life changed and took me down a new road. I decided to start a childrenswear brand after growing disillusioned with the transience of adult fashion trends. I love the freshness, the innocence of the trends within my client base. The birth of my daughter helped me identify a niche market for unique, stylish, affordable, on-trend children’s clothing. As a brand we have gradually refined our product to suit the needs of the people we have the greatest association with at the minute; mothers and fathers of young children. The look of joy on the parents and child’s face when they wear my designs is priceless!