- Code: LE
- City and Guilds award Advanced Diploma in Food Preparation and Cookery Supervision (8065-04)
- QQI Level 6 Minor award in Professional Cookery
- Duration: One Year
This course is aimed at students with a passion for food, who wish to enhance their creativity and food preparation skills. It is designed to enable students to develop an advanced level of knowledge, skills and competence in professional cookery, integrating theory and practice whilst working in industry. This course will be run in conjunction with fulltime employment for applicants.
- Programme of Study
- Supervise staff training
- Resource management in food preparation
- Menu planning and costing
- Supervise food production
- Culinary Food Safety Management
- International Cuisines
- Management Development
- Prepare, cook and finish cakes, biscuits and sponge products
- Prepare, cook and finish pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish hot and cold desserts
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- City & Guilds Diploma in Food Preparation & Cooking (Culinary Arts) (8065-02)
- QQI Level 5 Professional Cookery Award (5M2088)
- Mature Applicants - Industry experience may qualify for entrance onto the course based on individual assessment.
- Full time employment
Places will be offered following a successful interview.
- Career Opportunities
Employment in the catering industry remains steady and graduates in this area are very much in demand. Graduates will be competent to take up employment in a wide range of professional cookery settings.
- Higher Education Progression*
- Higher Certificate in Culinary Arts (Advanced entry to 2nd Year) (TA006)
Graduates of this course are eligible to apply through the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to a range of higher certificate and degree programmes at Institutes of Technology and Universities (please check with the particular institution regarding local eligibility requirements).
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
After completing the first year of the professional cookery at BIFE I have returned to complete the 2nd year of the advanced diploma. I found the course to be both challenging and fulfilling and has enabled me to apply what I have learnt in my role in a professional kitchen immediately. I recommend any students wishing to progress in the field of professional cookery complete the 2 year course at BIFE. - Paul Breslin