QQI Level 5 Award in Hairdressing (5M3351)
City & Guilds Diploma in Women’s Hairdressing Level 2 (3002-21)
Department of Education and Skills Junior Trade qualification.
Barbering (optional) May need to attend college one extra day a week
- DURATION: 1 Year
Bray Institute provides everything you need to start your hair hairdressing career. Fom our fully equipped training salon, our hands-on approach to training and streamlined, interactive theory. This course is suited to complete beginners and people currently working in the hair industry at apprentice level.
This 1 Year course is designed for students who are serious about a hairdressing and barbering career. Students will study the practical skills of hairdressing and barbering, and the underpinning theoretical knowledge that will enable them to pursue a career in the hairdressing and barbering Industry as a Junior stylist. Training is provided in the Institute’s fully equipped hairdressing salon.
Students who successfully complete year one may progress to year 2 Senior Stylist course where they will complete the next level of City & Guilds qualifications and the Department of Education and Skills Senior Trade qualification.
- Programme of Study
- Working in the hair industry
- Salon reception duties
- Hairdressing science
- Follow health and safety practice in the salon
- Client consultation for hair services
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Promote products and services to clients in a salon
- Cut women’s hair
- Colour and lighten hair
- Perm and Neutralise Hair
- Create an image based on a theme within the hair and beauty sector
- Hair and Head Diseases (Skin and Scalp conditions)
- Work Experience
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a merit profile
- Full QQI Level 4 award with a merit profile
- Mature Applicants - experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following a successful interview.
Learner’s must source their own work placement.
- Career Opportunities
- Hair Stylist
- Cruise Ships
- Start Your Own Business
- Session Stylist
- Salon Receptionist
- Sales Representative
- Health Spas
- TV/Film & Theatre
- Progression Route*
Examples of potential courses include:
- Year 2 Hairdressing - Senior Stylist Based on successful completion of Junior stylist course and Interview.
- City and Guilds NVQ Level 3 In women’s Hairdressing
- Senior Trade Hairdressing
- Course Co-Ordinator