- Code: KC (Year One); KD (Year Two)
- Certification:BTEC Higher National Diploma in Fine Art Level 6+ equivalence on the NFQ
- BTEC Higher National Certificate in Fine Art Level 6+ will be achieved after year 1
- Duration:Two Years
This is a comprehensive two year diploma in art which offers all age groups of students an opportunity to study art practice and art theory within a vibrant and structured programme.This art course offers a pathway for those who wish to apply for advanced entry to year two or three of visual art courses.
Past diploma graduates have progressed further choosing from a wide range of art institutions including: NCAD, DIT, IADT, Chelsea School of Art, Ulster Universtiy, Central Scool of Art and Design London.
Some graduates have chosen other alternatives on completion of their art diploma and diversify into different areas of associated employment such as community art schemes and programmes, curatory and gallery management posts and a number have become successful independent art practitioners.
On completion of the course students showcase their work in our annual Art and Design Exhibition.
- Programme of Study
HNC- Year One
- Visual Communication in Art & Design
- Ideas Generation & Development in Art & Design
- Contextual & Cultural Referencing in Art & Design
- Fine Art Painting
- Fine Art Printmaking
- Fine Art Ceramics
- Drawing in Fine Art
- Commissioned Art Work
- Professional Practice in Art & Design
HND - Year Two
- Digital Image Creation & Development
- Personal Development through Drawing
- Critical Study in Art & Design
- Ideas in Context
- Management of Art Exhibitions
- Site Specific Fine Art
- Project Design, Implementation & Evaluation
Components subject to change.
- Entry Requirements
- QQI Level 5 award in the visual arts field
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent with a number of passes at higher level desirable.
- Mature applicants - experience will beconsidered in lieu of formal qualification.
Places are offered following successful interview. Applicants will be requested to complete a brief for submission at interview.
- Higher Education Progression*
UK and Northern Ireland Universities:
- Final year of an Honours Degree in Fine Art (Apply through UCAS system)
Irish Universities & IT’s:
- Learners may proceed via advanced entry to Honours Degree courses.
- Art Level 8 (DL827) Year 3
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"I am currently studying for my Degree in the University of Ulster in Belfast. The Fine Art course in BIFE equipped me with the knowledge and skills necessary to engage with further education."