- Code: KC (Year One); KD (Year Two)
- Certification:BTEC Higher National Diploma in Fine Art Level 6+ equivalence on the NFQ
- BTEC Higher National Certificate in Fine Art Level 6+ will be achieved after year 1
- Duration:Two Years
This course is reflective of current practice in the art world. It is led by tutors who maintain their own practice. Year one involves learners developing and refining their existing skills in drawing, painting, printing, and ceramics. Learners are introduced to new concepts, methods and processes through tuition in the form of workshops and demonstrations. The development of their work is supported by receiving regular feedback from teachers. In the second year learners, while still engaging with teachers, are encouraged to develop a more self-directed approach. Modules such as Professional Practice, Management of Exhibitions and Digital Image Creation & Development prepare learners for self-promotion and add the final touch to portfolios for third level applications. Work produced in this year is exhibited in the Institute’s annual Graduate Exhibition. The course also includes study trips to galleries and exhibitions in Ireland and abroad. Past graduates have succeeded in applying their skills and knowledge in a variety of fields from further education studies in third level institutions to working full time within community projects.
- Programme of Study
HNC- Year One
- Visual Communication in Art & Design
- Ideas Generation & Development in Art & Design
- Contextual & Cultural Referencing in Art & Design
- Fine Art Painting
- Fine Art Printmaking
- Fine Art Ceramics
- Drawing in Fine Art
- Commissioned Art Work
- Professional Practice in Art & Design
HND - Year Two
- Digital Image Creation & Development
- Personal Development through Drawing
- Critical Study in Art & Design
- Ideas in Context
- Management of Art Exhibitions
- Site Specific Fine Art
- Project Design, Implementation & Evaluation
Components subject to change.
- Entry Requirements
- QQI Level 5 award in the visual arts field
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent with a number of passes at higher level desirable.
- Mature applicants - experience will beconsidered in lieu of formal qualification.
Places are offered following successful interview. Applicants will be requested to complete a brief for submission at interview.
- Higher Education Progression*
UK and Northern Ireland Universities:
- Final year of an Honours Degree in Fine Art (Apply through UCAS system)
Irish Universities & IT’s:
- Learners may proceed via advanced entry to Honours Degree courses.
- Art Level 8 (DL827) Year 3
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"I am currently studying for my Degree in the University of Ulster in Belfast. The Fine Art course in BIFE equipped me with the knowledge and skills necessary to engage with further education."