- Code: DA (Year One); DB (Year Two)
- Certification: BBTEC Higher National Certificate in Art & Design - Graphic Design Level 6+ equivalence on the NFQ achieved after year 1 BTEC Higher National Diploma in Art & Design - Graphic Design Level 6+ equivalence on the NFQ achieved after year 2 (603/0909/X)
- Duration: Two Years
This course prepares learners for a rewarding career in the creative industries. All learners have access to computer design facilities using industry standard software from Adobe Creative Cloud- Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects and Dreamweaver. Learners study a range of project-based modules, learn design principles and develop creative problem solving skills. Final year learners will exhibit their work at our end-of-year exhibition in the Institute.
- Programme of Study
HNC - Year One
- Professional Development
- Contextual Studies
- Individual Project
- Techniques and Processes
- Graphic Design Practices
- Photographic Practices
HND - Year Two
- Professional Practice
- Applied Practice Collaborative Project
- Advanced Graphic Design Studies
- Web Design
- Branding and Identity
- Digital Animation
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent with some higher papers
- QQI Level 5 award in a related discipline
- Mature Applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following a successful interview. Learners should be computer literate. Applicants must bring a portfolio/collection of work to the interview.
- Career Opportunities
- Web Design
- Motion Graphics
- Editorial Design
- Packaging Design
- Higher Education Progression*
Examples of potential courses include:
UK and Northern Ireland Universities:
- Final year of an Honours Degree in Graphic Design (Apply through UCAS system) eg: University of Sunderland Graphic Design BA (Year 3)
Irish Universities & ITs: Learners may proceed via advanced entry to Honours Degree courses eg:
- Visual Communications Design Level 8 (DL826) (Year 2/3/4)
- Graphic Design Level 7 (AL763) (Year 2)
- Design – Visual Communication (TU973) (Year 2/3/4) Product Design (TU811) (Years2/3/4)
Carlow IT (Wexford Campus):
- Visual Communications & Design Level 8 (CW088) (Year2/3/4)
- Visual Communications Level 8 (CR600) (Year 2/3/4)
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
Marisa Garrido Martínez
"I was so lucky to have the opportunity to study at BIFE and spend the last two years learning and acquiring knowledge in Graphic Design. It was not only what I have learned but the environment that made me grow as a person and as a professional. My teachers and classmates created a wonderful environment where we worked as a close team. I will be always grateful for the opportunity I found at BIFE to follow my dream to become a professional in Graphic Design. I currently work as a graphic designer in a signage company."
"My background in school was always technical so deciding to study graphic design in BIFE was a big step but from the initial interview to the graduation I was always shown that I would have the creative freedom to explore the subjects with a personal approach. I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 years at BIFE, students are like a small family in there.
The best part of all of this was that the graduation in graphic design opened many doors and even before I graduated I was able to secure a Web Designer position with a Silicon Valley ISP. I feel that I'm still learning every day and that for me is one of the most important aspects of this profession, it never gets boring. ."
"My interest in design came from my teens when I wanted to make movie posters and design for games. After studying Game Design at Level 5 for two years I decided a career in Graphic Design was the one for me. I chose to go to BIFE, the course forced me to explore design avenues I had not considered before and made me aware of how limited I was with my visual understanding and skills.
Since attending BIFE I have become far more adept at understanding how design works and how to deal with the business of Graphic Design in the real world. I made good friends with students from all walks of life and we had the opportunity to collaborate and bounce ideas off each other. The teachers changed my perspective
and gave me a good all round appreciation for design. I am now working in a start-up company as their head designer, and I am very content in the path that BIFE set me on."