- Code: KC (Year One); KD (Year Two)
- Certification: BTEC Higher National Certificate in Art & Design (Arts Practice) Level 6+ will be achieved after year 1. Higher National Diploma in Art & Design (Arts Practice) Level 6+ will be achieved after year 2 (603/0909/X)
- Duration:Two Years
The BTEC Art Practice course offers an exciting and challenging programme of study providing students with both essential subject knowledge and skills.
The course consists of a broad range of subjects from drawing techniques to 3D studies in ceramics and mixed media, printmaking, photography and contextual studies.
Students who progress into year two are encouraged to develop a more selfdirected approach whilst engaging with tutors. This provides the opportunity to specialise in and explore chosen subjects further.
- Programme of Study
HNC- Year One
- Professional Development
- Contextual Studies
- Individual Project
- Techniques and Processes
- Media Practice
- Material Practices
- Art Craft Pruduct
HND - Year Two
- Professional Practice
- Applied Practice Collaborative Project
- Advanced Art Practice Studies
- Art Direction
- Ceramic Design
- Material Selection and Specification
Components subject to change.
- Entry Requirements
One of the following:
- QQI Level 5 award in the visual arts field
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent with a number of passes at higher level desirable Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Mature applicants - experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualification
Places are offered following successful interview. Applicants must bring a portfolio to the interview.
- Career Opportunities
- Fine Art Painting
- Fine Art Sculpture
- Art Education
- Art Administration
- Higher Education Progression*
UK and Northern Ireland Universities:
- Second year of an Honours Degree in Fine Art (Apply through UCAS system)
Irish Universities & IT’s:
- Learners may proceed via advanced entry to Honours Degree courses.
- Art Level 8 (DL827) Year 2
*Places are not guaranteed in these institutes and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual college websites for more information on application. Information available also at www.cao.ie
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"This course offered more than I expected! Through a comprehensive study programme, and continued support and advice from tutors, I have gained a greater knowledge and appreciation of art. New concepts, methods and techniques played an important role in the development of my personal ‘fine art’ identity that continues in the work I am producing now. I am presently preparing for a solo exhibition, aided by the invaluable lessons I have learnt from this Fine Art course. I highly recommend it!"
"I am currently studying for my Degree in the University of Ulster in Belfast. The Fine Art course in BIFE equipped me with the knowledge and skills necessary to engage with further education."