- Code: DD
- Certification: QQ1 Level 5 Award in Design (5M2208)
- Duration: One Year
This course prepares learners for entry to degree courses in Architecture related courses. The Principles of Design and Construction will be explored through design projects, drawing and model making. History of Architecture will also be covered including visits to exhibitions and various buildings. The methods and theory of different building construction techniques and materials will be investigated, including a practical build project. The course will result in a comprehensive selection of portfolios which can be used for entry to various third level courses. This course will also appeal to anyone with an interest in architecture.
- Programme of Study
- Design Skills
- Architectural Drawing
- History of Architecture
- Building Construction
- Computer Aided Draughting (AutoCad and SketchUp)
- Work Experience
Modules subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate (minimum of five 06/H7’s or combination of five 06/ H7’s) or its equivalent. Extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Leaving Cert Applied Award
- QQI Level 4 Award
- Mature Applicants - experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
- Career Opportunities
- Architectural Technology
- Planning and Environmental Management
- Construction Managment
- Higher Education Progression*
Examples of potential courses include:
- Architectural Technology - QQI Level 6
- Architecture - DT101 Subject to Interview and Portfolio
- Architectural Technology - DT175
- Planning and Environmental Management - DT106
- Timber Product Technology - DT169
- Building Management (Maintenance and Conservation) - DT170
- BSc Architectural Technology - CW407
- BSc Hons Architectural Technology - CW468
- BSc in Building Construction and Services Management - CW417
- BSc Architectural Technology - WD094
- BSc in Architectural Technology & Building Information (BIM) - WD195
- BSc Hons Architecture- WD144
Past students have successfully gained entry to Architecture in DIT and Architectural Technology in DIT, Waterford IT and Carlow IT. QQ1 Graduates are eligible to apply through the Higher Education Links Scheme for entry to Institutes of Technology and Universities.
- Course Co-Ordinator
Banbha Mc Cann
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
"I decided to do this course as I have always been interested in building design and wanted to learn more about the subject.
Due to my QQI results and portfolio I was accepted into DIT to study Architectural Technology. This is a very challenging course but the skills and knowledge learnt in BIFE have helped enormously.
Been awarded Student of the Year was definitely the highlight of my year!" - Maeve Webster
"After doing this course in BIFE I was offered a place in Architecture in DIT which was my first choice. I am now in first year Architecture which is challenging and exciting. I thoroughly enjoyed my year in BIFE as we had great tutors and lots of interesting design and construction projects. Our class trips out to different places were fun also and taught me about all the different styles of buildings." - Aaron Doyle
“I was offered a place in DIT studying Architecture after receiving my award in BIFE. I think the course gave me a clear advantage in terms of drawing skills and design skills as well as giving me an insight into the history of architecture. It has really helped me in DIT and this is down to the great tutors of BIFE and the interesting design projects we did. “ Ally Webb
“I really enjoyed the Architecture: Design and Technology course last year and am now in 1st year Architectural Technology, Carlow IT, using all the skills learnt during my time in BIFE. The year was very busy and enjoyable with lots on hands-on building practicals and visits to various buildings giving me a great insight into architecture and construction.” Dean Caul