- Code: SF
- Certification: Level 5 Award in Office Administration (5M1997).
Level 5 equivalence on the NQF
- Duration: One Year (morning only)
This one-year QQI Level 5 certificate course is designed to give you a nationally recognised vocational qualification that enables you to work in both the medical/dental and general secretarial environments. It provide learners with the knowledge and skills to meet the specialist administrative and secretarial needs of a range of health care occupations as found in hospitals, community health, general and private practice, research, the pharmaceutical industry and complementary medicine. The course is based around general areas of administration and business, secretarial skills, key concepts of computing and its uses in the workplace. The course enables learners to progress directly into employment.
- Programme of Study
- Information & Administration
- Word Processing
- Work Experience
- Text Production with Data Entry
- Audio Transcription
- Medical Terminology
Socrates (Medical Practitioner Software)
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certificate or equivalent
- Leaving Certificate Applied with a merit profile
- Full QQI Level 4 award with a merit profile
- Mature applicants – experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications
Places are offered following successful interview.
- Career Opportunities
- The HSE
- Opportunities exist practice abroad for those with language skills
- Private hospitals
- General medical
- Higher Education Progression*
- Business Studies (DT 315)
- Business (AL 850);
- Business & Law (AL 851)
- Business (BN 101);
- Business & IT (BN 103);
- International Business (BN110)
Management – Advanced Certificate QQI Level 6 (6M4587).
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
My name is Jennifer Burns, I completed the Medical Administration course in BIFE in 2016. My time as a student gave me the skills necessary to confidently and efficiently approach day-to-day office tasks with a proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Sage 50. With the Medical Terminology module I gained an understanding of medical terms, anatomy and the layout of healthcare records. The course coordinator and all of the tutors are extremely helpful and engaging. The modules included combine to create the ideal balance between essential office skills and character building. I highly recommend this course to anyone looking to improve their career prospects in the medical administration area.