- Code: JD (Year One); JE (Year Two)
- Certification: Accounting Technicians Ireland (ATI) Level 6 Award
- Duration: Two Years
The institute of accounting technicians is the leading accounting technician body in Ireland with over 10,000 members. The ATI qualification is internationally recognised and graduates are qualified to work in the accounting profession in Ireland or abroad. The Institute has achieved a high success rate in these exams. The ATI offers extensive learner support and advice. In recent years BIFE learners have achieved some of the highest grades in the country in the ATI examinations. In the 2016 Exams Sandra Colgan achieved Joint 1st Place and Niamh Heaney achieved 3rd place overall in Ireland in the 2nd ATI exams. Many other previous students have performed highly in the ATI Exam National Rankings. In recent years many BIFE students have progressed to Third level study with 5 of the 2016 Graduates gaining entry to Year 3 of the Finance Degree at IT Tallaght.
- Programme of Study
- Law & Ethics
- Business Management
- Financial Accounting I
- Taxation I
- Advanced Financial Accounting
- Advanced Taxation
- Integrated Accounting Systems
- Management Accounting
Components subject to change
- Entry Requirements
- Leaving Certifcate. Learners should have passed the Leaving Certifcate or equivalent with pass grades in 5 ordinary level subjects (including an O5 grade in English and either Maths or Accountancy).
- Leaving Certifcate Applied Students should contact the ATI (01-6498180)
- Applications will be considered from mature learners who do not meet these requirements.
Places will be offered following a successful interview.
- Career Opportunities
- Further Professional Study. Graduates of this course can progress to higher Accountancy professional qualification including Chartered Accountants Ireland, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Association of Tax Technicians, Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland (CPA), Institute of Incorporated Public Accountants (IIPA).
- Accounting Practice
- Financial Services
- Accounting positions in both Private & Public Sectors.
- Higher Education Progression*
IT Tallaght (ITT):
- Bachelor of Business in Accounting,
- Bachelor of Business in Financial Services and Investment Analysis.
- BA in Accounting
- BA in Accounting.
Cork Institute of Technology (CIT):
- Bachelor of Business in Accounting.
Swansea Metropolitan University:
- BA in Accounting, BA in Business Studies
*Places are not guaranteed in these institutes and are subject to students meeting certain criteria. Please consult the individual college websites for more information on application. Information available also at www.cao.ie
- Course Co-Ordinator
- Where are they now?
Meet BIFE students who have graduated from this course...
As a mature student and mum it was a big decision to return to full-time education after years in industry, but from the start I found the team at BIFE helpful and welcoming. The class sizes are small so you get to know everyone and make new friends. The teachers are really excellent and prepared us well for the ATI exams. Early in the course they gave us some good advice; to get into a study routine, use the library resource and form study groups to help and support each other. I have really enjoyed studying at BIFE and am thrilled with our ATI results – all the hard work paid off and the two years have flown by.
Both ATI and BIFE have excellent higher education links with Institute of Technology Tallaght (ITT), and I have now entered third year of the Accounting & Finance degree course with my BIFE classmates. They say “education opens doors” and I couldn’t recommend BIFE highly enough to school leavers and mature students alike.
Sandra Colgan achieved Joint 1st Place in Ireland in the ATI Year 2 exams in 2016.
"When I first entered BIFE as a mature student, I wasn't sure what to expect, and whether I would be able for it all especially as I had been a stay-at-home-mum for seven years.
What I found was the staff from my lectures to Theresa, the Librarian to be informative, professional but extremely friendly, brilliant at encouraging, and giving of their time when an extra help was needed.
My class mates turned out to be from all walks and stages of life. Some of whom are now very good friends.
The course itself was at times hard going but it was made easier due to the excellent lectures who guided us through the maze of information and help us to gain a deep understanding of the course materials. That guidance and teaching helped me to achieve the results that I got. It also proved to be invaluable to me when I started in IT TALLAGHT as it turned out that those lectures gave me a very solid foundation for the next stage of my learning.
I would encourage anyone thinking of doing a course to consider BIFE after my experience." - Niamh Heaney